Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

Father's Day Part II?

We had seen advertisements for the Dana Point Concours D'elegance - which is a fancy schmancy car show.   I've never been to one of these and they decided I would enjoy it more if I went by myself.  So I did.  It was held on a very nice golf course and is a collection of very rare and expensive cars that are judged and then the winners of each class are all staged on one fairway.  This was a smaller version of Pebble Beach show that is the grand daddy of them all. 

While I was gone mom and kids did the market and uptown shops.  There was art show and Amy bought a two cool paintings.  Not sure how we get them home without ruining them, but we'll try.  They ended up at the pool and I joined them when I got back.

This part might be boring to you non-car types, but to those who are - it was very cool.
Cars were spectacular -  First two cars were McLaren and Ferrari Formula 1 cars driven by Schumacher and Coulthard.  Next - 1 of 9 remaining mercedes - worth 10 million according to Mercedes guy.   Duesenberg,  Fiats, Alfas, bunch of ISO griffo's,  whole section of pre 1970 ferraris, whole section of shelby's  -including 2 GT 500's that were the same color,  a ton of jaguar XKE's, fair amount of hot rod's including a 40-or 50's buick with all Corvette engine and brakes etc, 427 corvettes. 356 porsche's and a 550 sypder that raced all the lemans type races in 1956 - this is the car that james dean was killed in.
absolutely beautiful Jaguar XKE engine
last picture I could take - not bad from a phone

two shelby gt 350's and a 289 cobra - getting their awards
a guy emailed me these after the iphone crashed

The uncool part was that I didn't bring camera expecting you use my iphone camera.  For some reason it crashed and I didn't know how to fix, so I had no phone or camera. Cool part was talking with some of the owners and other spectators.   After watching some of the awards presentations, I strolled over to the auto auction.  I've only seen these on TV, so thought it would be cool.  Apparently, there weren't very many actual buyers there, so most of the cars weren't getting up to the reserve.  I did see them sell a 63 Cadillac with 26k original miles for only 13k - that seemed like quite a deal.  I guess all of the serious buyers were up at the Orange Count fairgrounds where Barrett-Jackson was also holding an auction.  (I'd love to go to the Orange county fair, I'm guessing it is vastly different from the Sandusky County Fair!!)
Anyhow - it was cool to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment